A Brief History of West Point First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church of West Point is in its 180th year of service to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Our church was founded in 1830, when a “Methodist Society” of a few members met in their log cabin meeting house. It was situated at the corner of East 10th Street and US Highway 29 (Avenue E).

Some of the families known to have been members of the early church and actively interested in its establishment and growth up to the time of the dedication of a new church on the site in 1853 on a lot donated by the West Point Land Company (Winston family) were Alford, Baker, Bass, Bedell, Benham, Chappell, Christian, Davenport, Durham, Eady, Erwin, Fleming, Gilmer, Hames, Harper, Harrington, Harris, Little, Lovelace, Lyon, Martin, Means, Miller, McClendon, McKemie, Oslin, Pattillo, Poer, Reed, Sample, Scott, Warner, Webb and Winston.

The dedication of the 1852 brick church, of locally produced brick, was held on December 4, 1853, the Rev. Alexander Means, of the old Emory College at Oxford, Georgia, presiding, and the Rev. John W. Talley, Pastor.

The present main building and sanctuary of the church was begun in 1905 and completed in 1907. The first regular service was held on Sunday, January 20, 1907, the Rev. J.M. Tumlin, Pastor. Bishop Warren A. Candler dedicated it on Sunday morning, November 28, 1909.

As membership continued to grow, more Sunday School facilities were need and by 1927, a modern church school building connected to the Sanctuary was erected.

In the early 1960’s, the church raised over $200,000 in seven days and proceeded to build extra Sunday School rooms for the children, a Fellowship Hall with commercial kitchen, a Church Parlor and the Scott-Zachry Memorial Chapel.

Groundbreaking for the Zachry Center, a multi-purpose family life center, was held on November 22, 1998, with Bishop Lindsey Davis officiating over the service.

The Zachry Center was dedicated November 14, 1999. Dr. Bill Burch was pastor and officiated the Dedication Service.

At a Homecoming service on September 17, 2000, the fully renovated sanctuary and education building were dedicated with Dr. Bill Burch, Bishop Lindsey Davis and Rev. Joe Watson, Pastor, officiating.

As our history indicates, we are a growing church. God is still guiding our growth in faith and service. We believe our purpose for existing is “to spread the love and Word of Jesus Christ to our congregation, our community and the world through ministry, mission and service.” We are attempting to see God’s vision for us, that we might fulfill OUR mission. We hope that you will join us in this on-going endeavor.




H O M E